Discover the Dales: DofE Award (Gold Residential)
- Location: Malham Tarn
- Tutor: Alex Conway
- Dates: Monday 26 August 2019 to Friday 30 August 2019
- Times: 12:00 PM - 03:00 PM
- Level: Open for Everyone
- Age Range: 16-18
- This course is run in partnership with Duke of Edinburgh:
- RESIDENT(SHARED ROOM): £250
This course is now historical and therefore no bookings can be taken. Explore our current programme of courses here
This course fulfils the requirements for the residential element of the Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award and will provide participants with the opportunity to learn about the stunning natural history of the Yorkshire Dales National Park, meet new people and discover new skills along the way.
An outline programme is given below, please note that the exact nature and timings of the activities may vary depending on weather, availability and other factors.
- Monday Afternoon Welcome to the centre; Classic limestone landscape walk from the centre to Malham (walking boots required) including the spectacular Malham Cove. Evening Team building activities and personal objectives
- Tuesday - all day Ingleborough; explore the stunning subterranean world of Ingleborough Cave and walk past Gaping Gill to the summit of Ingleborough. Evening Bat walk around the National Nature Reserve and moth trapping
- Wednesday - all day Visit Dry Rigg Quarry to learn about reclamation and conservation followed by an insight into local industrial archaeology at the former Craven Lime Works (including bee orchids, hopefully!). Evening Small mammal trapping
- Thursday - all day Conservation day (specific activity will depend on weather and suitable tasks). Evening Camp fire and group reflection
- Friday - all day Environmental stewardship at Lower Winskill Farm including drystone wall building.
The course will be led by FSC tutor, Alex Conway, who has a wide range of experiences in the outdoors and leading groups in the Yorkshire Dales.
|About FSC Malham Tarn|
|Getting to FSC Malham Tarn|
This course is now historical and therefore no bookings can be taken.
View your basket