Introduction to ArcGIS for Secondary Teachers
- Location: Malham Tarn
- Tutor: Ellie Glew
- Dates: Saturday 12 October 2019 to Sunday 13 October 2019
- Times: 09:30 - 15:00
- Level: Open for Everyone
- NON-RESIDENT: £85
- RESIDENT (SHARED ROOM): £125
- RESIDENT (SOLE OCCUPANCY): £145
FSC delivers Science, Biology and Geography fieldwork courses to over 140,000 students a year and CPD to over 700 teachers. FSC entered into a partnership with ESRI UK in late 2012 to integrate more GIS within its secondary schools programmes, both for Geography and Biology.
The focus of this practical and participatory course will be on using ArcGIS Online, starting with the basics and importance of GIS, finishing with ways in which the ESRI UK Collector App can be used for fieldwork. Participants will also receive a certificate of attendance. This course will provide opportunities for teachers to:
- Recognise the significance and importance of GIS in everyday life and its potential in transforming geography teaching and learning.
- Become familiar with the ways in which ArcGIS Online operates and its basic functions through the web interface.
- Understand how to collect, manipulate and use spatial data from a variety of places including published internet sources at a range of scales.
- Find out how to perform basic analysis within the ArcGIS Online platform.
- See the potential for the ArcGIS Office plug-in and how it can be used to visualise CSV data files.
- Be able to set up and use the ArcGIS Collector App in order to undertake fieldwork and then create maps and analysis.
- Take away materials that can be used at school, which will help students develop skills and participate in GIS.
- signpost supporting websites to get more help using the software.
The course will be led by senior FSC tutor, Ellie Glew, who has a wide range of experiences delivering fieldwork, incorporating technology into learning outside the classroom, and leading groups in the Yorkshire Dales.
|Getting to FSC Malham Tarn|
Select the booking option and quantity from the list below and add them to your basket.
Since the course starts within eight weeks, we would ask you to pay the full amount.
View your basket